Saturday 18 September 2010

Dressing a table.


It's not very often that I actually make minis from scratch. I prefer to leave that to the people who are really good at it but occasionally, just very occasionally I'm inspired to make a little something

That little something was a covered table for The Parlour. I had had the table there sitting uncovered since I put it in there but to me it didn't feel Victorian enough so......... here is what I did....


I measured the diameter and height of a table I had that I was happy with and cut two circles from balsa and also a section of the inner tube of a roll of foil to the required height. Remember to allow for the thickness of the balsa wood when working out your height. Assemble as above.

Next, cut a circle of your chosen fabric allowing for height x 2 and diameter, add your selected trim round the outside edges and let that dry. Meanwhile, cover the whole thing with food wrap. Spray the cloth with starch or hairspray then arrange over the table adjusting folds.

The next step is to invert the table into a suitable receptacle (in my case it was a jam pot) of similar diameter and deep enough to take the whole table. Leave to dry.

Et voila! One (hopefully) Victorian looking table. Much nicer, I think, than the bare piece of furniture I had before.



10 comments:

  1. Un precioso trabajo.
    Una idea genial.
    Has explicado de maravilla el proceso, muchas gracias.
    besitos ascension

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Irene! I have never seen a table more Victorian like this!
    You did a great job (maybe you were inspired)!
    With the fabric you are a magician :-)
    The whole room is wonderful, it seems to be there, hundred and fifty years ago...
    I love this!
    Mini hugs, Flora

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your table, I think I'll try this!!
    -Kim :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the most elegant pieces can be made from simplest parts - a very nice table! You should scratch build more often :-)
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Irene, It is stunning and so perfect for your home!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!
    The result is fantastic and goes so well in your room. It is always so rewarding when you manage to achieve something yourself.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  7. Has conseguido una mesa muy elegante.
    Besos Clara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for all your lovely comments on my table. I must admit to only making things I'm pretty confident will work! It does, however, spur me on to do more so thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ¡Hola Irene! Muchas gracias por su amable comentario! Celebro que le gusten mis trabajos! No conocia su blog, aunque si habia visto su maravillosa casa de muñecas en la Revista Miniaturas. De nuevo le doy las gracias por su comentario y por haberse hecho seguidora de mi humilde blog! Un besazo enorme!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's beautiful and an excellent tutorial, I've bookmarked it for a later date, thank you.

    ReplyDelete

blogger templates | Make Money Online